A city forms its inhabitants just as much as people create a city. For this reason, finding modern solutions in the sphere of urbanization and creating interesting and inclusive urban spaces is crucial.
“Urban Vision Lutsk” is the first of its kind initiative of the NGO “Algorithm of Actions" in partnership with the NGO “Urban Reform” and NGO “Misto.reboot”. This exciting project of urban innovations in Lutsk strives to make the city a more attractive place for different groups of residents and tourists.
Just like any extensive project, “Urban Vision Lutsk” involves thorough research — from asking residents how they want to see their city to analyzing historical background, people’s preferences, and ways of living. Here, you can learn more about this innovative Ukrainian project that aims to bring more life to the city center of Lutsk.
Urban Vision Lutsk: Goals and Findings of the Extensive Urban Study
The development of a plan for remaking the city center of Lutsk would not be possible without extensive study of the city and its people. The NGO “Algorithm of Actions” made it their primary goal to dive deeply into the sociological, historical, and cultural aspects that formed the city over many years.
Conducting Urban Research
During the research stage, the team used the following methods:
- Collected information from open sources (statistics, historical data, etc.);
- Held workshops for residents to inform them about urban planning space in Lutsk, Ukraine, and to get their opinions;
- Conducted an extensive sociological study in the form of surveys and interviews. The study considered numerous variables, such as the age of respondents, their earnings, where they live in Lutsk, their hobbies, and much more;
- Analysis of the received information about the city.
As part of the urban study, the team of “Algorithm of Actions” discovered the main areas that need to be addressed:
- The lack of comfortable urbanization space in Lutsk, Ukraine that will be accessible to all people. Due to not having thought-out public spaces in the city center, a lot of them choose to spend time outside the city;
- The absence of high-quality services, attractive locations, and interesting events;
- There are not enough initiatives and developments that work with the territorial identity of the people of Lutsk.
In the process of urban study, it has become obvious that fixing the mentioned problems will bring the local community together and make residents more interested in improving the city. The project focuses on social integration as the basis of successful development.
Developing a Master Plan
Keeping the findings of surveys and research in mind, the “Algorithm of Actions” has developed and continues to refine the master plan for the central part of the city. The main goals of the project include:
- Identifying the areas of improvement and the overall potential of the city.
- Engaging the citizens in various ways (workshops, events, etc.), so that they participate in developing a vision for the city.
- Making sure that the city center is accessible to different groups of people, including those with special needs.
- Preserving nature as an integral part of the city and creating new green zones.
- Finding solutions to tie together historical buildings and modern urban innovation space in Lutsk, Ukraine.
An essential part of the project is bringing together different stakeholders, from local businesses and creatives to governmental institutions. The cooperation ensures the inflow of funds and promotes new ideas.
But Lutsk is not the only city in Ukraine that needs a breath of fresh air. A large number of cities in Ukraine lack well-developed public spaces and cultural initiatives. The project can serve as inspiration for other cities and provide valuable guidelines for urban planning. The rest of Ukraine can use the same approach to identify their problem areas so they can be effectively fixed.
The importance of urban inclusion spaces in Lutsk, Ukraine cannot be underestimated. The city center should be a place that attracts different groups of residents regardless of their age, social status, and needs. To avoid chaos and make sure that all aspects are considered, the “Algorithm of Actions” has created a plan for the city's development. It takes into consideration sustainability, the opinions of people, and the potential of Lutsk.
Urban innovation in Ukraine is still in its early stages, especially in smaller cities, but the need for it is obvious. Smart development of cities helps form communities, promotes the growth of businesses, improves the quality of life, and brings more tourists. There is a hope that urban inclusions in Lutsk, Ukraine will serve as inspiration for other cities.
What is the main goal of the Urban Vision Lutsk project?
The project's goal is to develop a clear vision for the future of Lutsk and then put the best ideas into practice. The team of the NGO “Algorithm of Actions" is focused on achieving urban sustainability in Lutsk, Ukraine, so extensive research is conducted to make this possible.
How does the Urban Vision Lutsk project contribute to the green and digital transformation of Lutsk?
The project for the city center is developed with nature in mind, as this is the only sustainable approach. Urban Vision Lutsk promotes the creation of green zones and more biodiversity in existing ones. As for digital transformation, the aim is to make the city more modern and attractive to IT specialists so it would become a creative hub for innovative solutions.
How can I provide feedback or suggestions for the Urban Vision Lutsk project?
If you have ideas and suggestions regarding the creation of urban spaces in Lutsk, Ukraine, you can always get in touch with the team of NGO “Algorithm of Actions”. If you or your company are interested in a partnership, you can send a letter to [email protected], and we'll promptly respond.